Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Sarah Rothman, N.D. at Thyme Integrative Health is a San Francisco Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Specialist that offers customized Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy programs to men and women that are experiencing hormonal imbalances. While hormones can decline for many reasons, they most commonly become imbalanced due to aging; other factors may include high stress, overwork, a poor diet, or chronic exposure to toxins. As a San Francisco Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Specialist, Sarah Rothman, N.D. has helped countless patients to supplement imbalances and recapture their quality of life.
A decline in hormone production is a natural part of aging in both men and women. Although it typically starts in the 30’s, most people don’t feel the full effects of declining hormones until they are closer to middle age. For men, the first indication is often problems with sexual performance and feeling like they have no ambition. Women, who are typically more in-tune with their bodies due to the monthly menstrual cycle, may complain of mood swings, weight gain, and a lowered sex drive. The following are typical symptoms of hormone imbalance in both men and women:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Anxiety, depression, and irritability
- Low libido
- Memory lapses and trouble concentrating
- Weight gain
- Insomnia and sleep apnea
- Lack of muscle tone
Regardless of your age, gender, or specific symptoms, you can find relief with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT).
Traditional Hormone Replacement Therapy
Because hormones affect so many functions of the human body, it may take you a while to realize that many of the uncomfortable symptoms you are experiencing are related. For example, you may receive individual prescriptions for frequent headaches or insomnia only to continue to struggle in other areas. This is because most traditional doctors treat symptoms without exploring the root cause. You become increasingly frustrated and discouraged as your doctor keeps missing the connection between your symptoms and hormone imbalance.
Some doctors may suggest synthetic hormone replacement therapy after other treatments fail to bring relief. Unfortunately, this may make your problems worse. Synthetic hormones are associated with several serious health conditions, including endometrial cancers, blood clots, heart attack, abnormal liver function, and pancreatitis. Additionally, they generally take longer for the body to accept and process. While the above complications are uncommon, many people do experience common side effects like nausea and muscle cramping. These can be bothersome enough for them to stop taking the synthetic hormones or prescription pills their doctors have given them.
How Bioidentical Hormones are Different
The first major difference between Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy and synthetic hormones is that Bioidentical Hormones are created from natural plant based extracts. The natural hormones in these plants remain unchanged during the compounding process because they are nearly identical to the natural hormonal structure that exists in the human body. For most people on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, the similar cellular structure means that the compound is metabolized in the body faster and easier. With their hormones in balance, men and women in the 30’s, 40’s, and beyond are able to enjoy renewed energy, better health, and a more positive outlook on life.
Due to the natural interactions of Bioidentical Hormones and the body, patients are able to experience prolonged symptom relief without the risk of further complications or any undesirable side effects.
Treating Specific Health Conditions with BHRT
In addition to the relief of general symptoms associated with hormone decline, many holistic medical practitioners prescribe Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to treat a variety of conditions that are ultimately related to a hormone imbalance, dominance or deficiency. These include:
- Adrenal fatigue: When your adrenal glands are working properly, they allow you to effectively manage the various stressors in your life and help build your immunity to common illnesses. However, high levels of stress, a poor diet, and other lifestyle factors can cause an imbalance that leads to chronically feeling fatigued. Optimized hormones allow the adrenal glands to function and peak efficiency and have been shown to reduce and even reverse the effects of adrenal fatigue in both men and women.
- Fibromyalgia: This condition, which happens when the brain receives faulty nerve signals, causes insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain, problems with concentration, irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased immunity to other illnesses. While the causes and specifics of fibromyalgia are still the subject of much speculation and study in the medical community, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Experts agree that optimizing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Therapy can greatly reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Thyroid disorders: The thyroid is located in your neck and controls every cell in your body. People experience many problems when it is underactive or overactive, including unplanned weight gain or loss, digestion issues, consistently feeling too hot or too cold, heart and liver function issues, high cholesterol, and decreased blood flow that can lead to anemia. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy has been found exceptionally effective at helping the body find and maintain proper thyroid hormone balance.
As a San Francisco Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Specialist, Sarah Rothman, N.D. at Thyme Integrative Health has used Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to help women struggling with menopausal symptoms and men that are dealing with conditions relating to low testosterone. Her customized programs are suited to meet individual needs, and upon diagnosing imbalances, she can target the elimination of specific symptoms with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy.